Let’s unite together to increase awareness of social isolation and raise funds for our projects that will help end loneliness and social isolation!
Alleviating the pain through friendship!
“Walk & Talk to End Social Isolation” is a public, virtual event. During October 19th- 23rd, you can walk on your own or in small groups, following social distancing guidelines. We will invite you to post pictures, stories, and memories of your walk on social media, using our hashtag. The event will end with an online celebration on October 24th where speakers will share stories of their own to inform, inspire those who are struggling with, and overcoming loneliness and social isolation.
The impacts social isolation and loneliness had on mental and physical health were significant even before Covid-19 mandated social distancing. Now 54% of Canadians report feeling isolated, an issue reflected in a multitude of recent media stories. The long term effect is often hidden, but it can manifest in the person through fatigue, irritability and sometimes lack of productivity.
The walkathon portion will be from October 19th-23rd. You can choose one day out of the week to walk. On October 24th, we will have an online celebration from 1pm to 2:30pm. Incredible speakers have been invited to share stories of their experience with social isolation.
Win a Prize!
If you reside in the Metro Vancouver region, register in the Walk & Talk before Oct 24th and attend the eventfor a chance to win 1 of our raffle prizes!
- 1 x $25 Juice Truck gift card
- 2 x $25 Earnest Ice Cream gift cards
- 2 x $25 Forerunners gift cards
You can also have a chance to receive “fundraising prizes” if you help raise funds for Beyond the Conversation before Oct 24th. The 3 attendees who raise the most amount of funds for Beyond the Conversation will get the respective prizes!
- The greatest amount of funds raised: 1 X $100 Nesters Market gift card
- The 2nd greatest amount of funds raised: 1 X $75 Cactus Club Cafe gift card
- The 3rd greatest amount of funds raised: 1 X $50 London Drugs gift card
How to fundraise for Beyond the Conversation:
- Before Oct 24, tell your family, friends, or anyone else about this event, and ask them if they are willing to pay you for walking a certain distance.
- If they are willing to support you, walk that distance before Oct 24.
- Then before Oct 24, go to btcwalkandtalk2020.eventbrite.ca and click “Tickets”.
- In the “Donations” section, enter the amount of funds you raised in the box, click “Checkout, and complete the process to get your ticket.
- In the “Last name” box, add “Fundraiser” to your last name, so Beyond the Conversation knows that you are attempting to get a fundraising prize
- Complete the process to get your ticket.
- Join the online celebration on Oct 24 to meet new people, be enlightened by our amazing speakers and to have fun!
If you do not want to walk, you can make a donation by completing steps 3-4 above before Oct 24.
If you already have a ticket and want to raise funds for Beyond the Conversation, you can still do so! Just complete steps 1-4 above to get a 2nd ticket that will represent the amount of funds you raised. To get your 2nd ticket, you can use the same email address that you used to get your 1st ticket.
- Prizes are gift cards for businesses in the Metro Vancouver area which is why only attendees from this area are eligible for these prizes.
- Attendees must be present in the event at the time of the raffle to claim their raffle prize. If they are not present after their name has been called, they will lose their claim and not be given the raffle prize.
- Attendees do not have to fundraise a minimum amount in order to be eligible to win a fundraising prize.
- The same attendee can win both a raffle prize and fundraising prize, but they can only win a maximum of 1 of each prize type.